Transitional to Permanent Housing
Joseph House offers transitional housing at its Marx Recovery Center and five additional buildings located in the Over-the-Rhine district of downtown Cincinnati. Our system of progressive housing allows our clients to develop and maintain independence as they move through our treatment and recovery programs.
Marx Recovery Center
Halfway House Program (three months)
The Marx Recovery Center serves as the Joseph House “Landing Zone” on 1526 Republic Street. Up to 36 residents participate in the in-patient chemical addiction treatment program certified by the Ohio Department of Mental Health and Addiction Services. Our certified chemical dependency and clinical counselors lead the program and provide the following:
- A safe and sober residential living environment
- A minimum of 10 hours of direct services each week, including:
- Individual and group counseling
- Substance abuse education
- Case management services
- A focus on early recovery issues, including:
- Achieving and maintaining emotional and physical stability
- Coordinating medical appointments (referrals provided as needed)
- Encouraging and facilitating a 12-step recovery program
The Marx Recovery Center at Joseph House is named after Captain Robert S. Marx, a native of Cincinnati who served as a soldier, attorney, judge and counselor to President Franklin Roosevelt.
Captain Marx was born in Cincinnati in 1889 and received his law degree from the University of Cincinnati in 1909. He enlisted in the Army in 1917 and served during World War I in the 57th Regiment, 90th Division. Wounded in 1918, Captain Marx was discharged from the Army in 1919 as a disabled veteran.
For his wartime actions and service, Captain Marx was awarded the Distinguished Service Cross, the Verdun Medal and the Purple Heart. In 1920, Captain Marx founded the Disabled American Veterans (DAV) and was the organization’s first National Commander.
ready & forward
Out-patient and Reintegration Program (six to eight months)
Once a client has completed the Halfway House Program, they transition to our Ready & Forward outpatient program designed to pave the way for reintegration into the community while maintaining independence and sobriety. Using a 1:1:1 model (one program, one client and one solution), our certified chemical dependency and clinical counselors continue to work with each client to customize solutions that maximize long-term success.
Certified by the Ohio Department of Mental Health and Addiction Services, our Ready & Forward outpatient program includes ongoing assessments and skills development, and up to two months of support while clients transition to permanent housing outside Joseph House facilities. The program focuses on the following:
- Sustaining sobriety:
- Sober living skills development
- Relapse prevention training
- Continued 12-step recovery support through an identified sponsor
- Family and friends group therapy
- Mindful yoga therapy techniques
- Reintegration into the community:
- Relationship counseling
- Conflict resolution training
- Reunification with family (as needed)
- Financial planning assistance
- Employment assistance
- Housing assistance
- Extracurricular activity development (hobbies and healthy interests)